Sunday, April 4, 2010

My baby bear

I’m the first to admit that I have done a poor job of keeping in touch with many people in my life since my son was born last October. The most generous among you will not take it personally and will just assume that I have been too damn busy and tired to write or call. True, true. And so I submit to you here, my attempts to write down a description of the ridiculousness that I have created for myself (given birth to).


I am simultaneously happier and more miserable than I have ever been in my entire life. It is a completely incongruous state where I often find myself laughing and crying at the same time. Levi does this too, and we like to cuddle together at the end of the day, cackling maniacally while the tears stream down our faces. Having a baby leads to a special kind of insanity. Sleep deprivation is probably the biggest cause of it, but so is the fact that I love that baby more than my mind and body can possibly contain. And it is not necessarily the gentle, nurturing, motherly love that I imagined I would feel for my child. It is more of an urgent, visceral, exploding love. It is an insatiable, demanding, crushing love. It is kind of like a punch in the face. But it's a punch in the face that you just want more and more of. In fact you want it so much that you joyfully throw most of what used to seem important directly into the trash just so that you can get your face bashed in even harder by babylove. Hence the insanity.

I think what is going on here is that I have become addicted to my son. In a heroin kind of way. Is that a bad thing? I think about him constantly, and when I'm not with him, I am always scheming about how I could get to him, how I could get more of him. When I finally do get to him, I clutch him desperately to my chest, I feel my heart rate increase. My lungs fill up with him, and I breathe in as much as I possibly can of him. For a minute or two, everything beyond what I hold in my arms flickers and fades, and I cannot hear or see anything else. (If you tried to get between me and my son in these moments, I think I might kill you. In fact, I think I would rip your limbs off with my bare hands. Which is why this blog is called “The Momma Bear.”)

Others have written about this opium den of new motherhood and have been criticized harshly by the contingent of feminists who believe that this is a social construction engineered by patriarchy in order to oppress women. I don't really have an answer for that. Before I had my son...before I grew him inside my body, nourished him with my blood, pushed him into the world through my vagina (yes, my vagina), and then fed him with my own milk, I probably would have agreed. I would have been irritated by educated and talented women who had worked so hard and then made such drastic compromises in order to be with their babies. Women who sacrificed everything just so that they could stay home and raise their husband's children. But now, here he is. A little person in this world who is made entirely of me, who has not one molecule in his body that hasn't first passed through mine, and I guess I feel differently. I don't think that what I am experiencing is a device of patriarchy. I do feel like I am at the mercy of a power that is much greater than myself, but that power is definitely not Men. It’s a power that is a secret between Levi and I and I mostly feel grateful it because it makes it easier to make the difficult choices that motherhood is confronting me with.

And now I have to sign off because I’m starting to get all itchy and I need to go and get my babyfix!

2 comments:

  1. Super-fantastic, first post! Yeah, Laila!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether your experience of maternal love is a matter of molecules or modernity, there are few feminists who would dismiss it as a mere "device of patriarchy." In fact, some would argue that motherhood is an important site of resistance in a society dominated by market rationality and the pursuit of self-gain. Nonetheless, parenthood is a venue for the production and reproduction of gender inequality. And many people use the language of maternal instinct to justify women's lower wages and higher domestic workload. I don't know what the answer is, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that equality is not possible when the differences between people (men and women, blacks and whites) are viewed as natural and unchanging. This is what makes maternal instinct treacherous political terrain (and it is political, no matter how personal). In any case, I don't think women need to defend themselves against feminist arguments. I do think they need to defend themselves against a social system that is designed to privilege men (who do not carry babies in their bodies, who do not feed babies from their breasts). Enter patriarchy.

    ReplyDelete